Auto Body Shops
Any commercial spray painting or paint dipping operation. Especially facilities with SIC Code 7532.
Regulations in a nutshell:
No regulations have been promulgated specifically for auto body shops.
Current regulations that could apply to auto body shops:
- Emissions of any single criteria pollutant (e,g, VOC) of 5 tons per year or more or emissions of any combination of 15 tons per year or more must be permitted unless exempt per LAC 33:III.2123.D.6. Must comply with VOC limits in LAC 33:III.2123. May also need HW-1, for hazardous waste disposal and Tier II, for Community Right to Know.
- Water discharges may need a LPDES permit. Used oil and batteries need to be disposed of properly.
- Freon from air conditioning systems must be recycled or disposed of according to EPA rules.
Reporting and Recordkeeping:
- None required
- See permit if one is issued.
Housekeeping and Pollution Prevention Suggestions:
- Keep all containers containing VOCs covered with an airtight lid.
- Change exhaust filters at regular intervals.
- Use low-pressure high volume or airless equipment
- Use water based or low VOC paints when possible.
- Recycle contaminated solvents.