This page contains the most frequently asked questions by industry and consultants to the DEQ Data Collection and Evaluation (DCE) Group concerning Emissions Inventory. The types of questions that appear here include broad issues as well as specific technical problems.
This document will be updated and revised periodically.
1. Does my facility have to report a Criteria Pollutant or Toxic Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory?
Reporting to the Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventory or the Toxic Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory is based on many things and is determined by a review of the facility's air quality files, including the current air permit and application. Requirements to submit a Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventory are outlined in LAC 33:III.919. Requirements to submit a Toxic Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory are outlined in LAC 33:III.Chapter 51.
2. What is the deadline for submitting a Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventory or Toxic Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory?
Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventories are due on April 30 of each year, according to LAC 33:III.919. Toxic Air Pollutant Emissions Inventories are due on April 30 of each year, according to LAC 33:III.5107.
3. Where can I get blank copies of Certification Statements?
Certification statements are obtained by submitting an inventory through our Emissions Reporting and Inventory Center (ERIC)
4. I will not be able to meet the reporting deadline; is it possible to get an extension?
Yes. The Office of Environmental Services' Assistant Secretary issues extensions on an individual basis. Requests for extensions must be submitted in writing at least 10 days before the April 30th deadline. On-time data submittals, to comply with the regulatory deadline, are strongly encouraged. Submit extension requests to:
Mr. Bryan Johnston
Air Permits Division
Office of Environmental Services
P.O. Box 4313
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-4313
5. May a facility be released from reporting emissions in ERIC?
The department can release facilities from reporting. Each facility is responsible for determining if LAC 33:III.919 and/or LAC 33:III.5107 applies.
6. What are Criteria Pollutants?
Criteria pollutants are those pollutants that EPA has set national air quality standards for, which are:
· Particulate Matter
· Carbon Monoxide
· Nitrogen Dioxide
· Sulfur Dioxide
7. Which pollutants are captured in the Emissions Inventory?
The inventory captures 4 of the 6 criteria pollutants as well as additional pollutants. The pollutants in the inventory are:
· Carbon Monoxide (CO)
· Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)
· Particulate Matter (PM10 and PM2.5)
· Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)
· Total Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
· Ammonia (NH3)
· Lead (Pb)
· Butenes, isomers
The inventory also captures toxic air pollutants (TAPS) and a list can be obtained in LAC 33:III.Chapter 51.
8. I’m confused about which compounds should not be reported as VOCs in the Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventory.
9. How do I obtain copies of previously submitted Criteria Pollutant Emissions Inventory Reports or Emissions Inventory data?
Visit the ERIC webpage for publicly available datasets and reports. If you need further assistance, contact DEQ's Public Records staff.
10. Is my parish considered attainment, nonattainment, or adjoining for ozone?
The ozone nonattainment parishes are:
East Baton Rouge
West Baton Rouge
The parishes adjoining the ozone nonattainment parishes are:
· East Feliciana
· Pointe Coupee
· Saint Helena
· Saint James
· Saint John the Baptist
· Saint Martin
· West Feliciana
11. Is the Calcasieu Parish area considered nonattainment for ozone?
Calcasieu Parish was considered nonattainment for ozone until June 2, 1997. At that time, Calcasieu Parish was considered attainment for ozone. However, during 1998, 1999, and 2000, Calcasieu Parish experienced six ozone exceedance days, activating contingency measures and requiring the area to report to Emissions Inventory at lower thresholds. This area included Cameron, Jefferson Davis, and Beauregard parishes.
In July of 2006, the Calcasieu area was released from the reporting to Emissions Inventory at lower thresholds and returned to attainment thresholds as required by LAC 33:III.919.