Jan 22, 2014
Baton Rouge - It is dry in Louisiana right now and wildfires could be started easily, so it is important to know the regulations and laws concerning open burning in the state. When people burn waste, it causes air pollution and, in some cases, can be illegal. Open burning of certain materials is prohibited in Louisiana. If you have a trash pile and burn household waste, construction debris or anything other than vegetative matter, you could be subject to a fine.
Some materials that should NEVER be burned are:
- Plastic and other synthetic materials
- Tires and other rubber products
- Paints, household and agricultural chemicals
- Asphalt shingles, heavy oils, wire
- Newspaper, cardboard and other paper products
- Buildings and mobile homes
Citizens can call DEQ to report illegal open burning at 225-219-3640 or call the DEQ regional office that serves you:
- Northwest Regional Office in Shreveport / Larry Baldwin – Regional Manager-318-676-7227
Parishes served: Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Claiborne, De Soto, Natchitoches, Red River, Sabine, Webster
- Northeast Regional Office in Monroe / Larry Baldwin – Regional Manager-318-362-5439 - Monroe and 318-487- 5656 – Pineville.
Parishes served: Avoyelles, Caldwell, Catahoula, Concordia, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, La Salle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Rapides, Richland, Tensas, Union, West Carroll and Winn
- Southwest Regional Office in Lake Charles / Billy Eakin – Regional Manager-337-491-2667
Parishes served: Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis and Vernon
- Southeast Regional Office in New Orleans / Mike Algero – Regional Manager-504-736-7701 - Lafourche, 985-532- 9945
Parishes served: Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. John the Baptist, St. Charles, St. Tammany, Terrebonne, Washington
- Acadiana Regional Office in Lafayette / Billy Eakin – Regional Manager-337-262-5584
Parishes served: Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary and Vermilion
- Capital Regional Office in Baton Rouge /Bobby Mayweather – Regional Manager-225-219-3600
Parishes served: Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberville, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. James, St. Martin, Tangipahoa, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana
For information on fines and regulations go to http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/Portals/0/planning/regs/title33/33v03-201312.pdf Section 1109.