Jan 07, 2016
Baton Rouge - The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality is advising residents and businesses located in and around the Morganza Spillway, Atchafalaya Basin and Mississippi River Basin to make preparations in advance of the potential river flooding in those areas.
DEQ is advising residents and businesses in the area to:
- Secure all movable objects, such as boats, above-ground tanks, lawnmowers, ATVs, outdoor furniture, BBQ grills, etc.
- Turn off water, gas and electrical power to the residence or business
- Ensure your local storm drains are free of debris
- Ensure pets and livestock are relocated to higher ground
- Be sure to take important documents with you, along with water, medicine, portable radio and spare batteries
- Remain in contact with local media outlets for updates on road closures, weather and safety issues
Residents and business owners should avoid any contact with chemicals, pollution, hazardous materials or loose containers in and around floodwater areas. Reports on any oil spills or chemical releases should be made to the National Response Center at 800-424-8802 or the DEQ hotline at 225-219-3640 or 888-763-5424. If it is an emergency, call 911.
Please review the below websites for further information:
Information on the current river flood outlook, visit: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/
Information on flood preparation: http://www.epa.gov/natural-disasters/flooding
Information on how to plan and prepare for weather-related events, visit: http://getagameplan.org/